Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Quitting Smoking


I am quitting smoking. Tomorrow is my first smoke-free day. I am excited and scared.

In my early years of working at the bank, everyone smoked. Right there in their offices -- it seems unheard of now. Conference rooms were decorated with huge crystal ashtrays. My boss and I spent countless hours working on budgets, plans and solving all the problems sharing a pot of coffee and filling the ashtray.

A few years later we moved into a brand new building -- Gasp! Nonsmoking! He decided to quit and we all cheered him on. But, I'll never forget him saying to me, "If I'm diagnosed with lung cancer, the first thing I'm going to do is buy a carton of cigarettes and smoke them all!"

Ok, he was in withdrawal. But I do understand the power of addiction.

Tomorrow is my turn. I've taken my Chantix even though I despise pills and I have a buddy enduring this with me. We figure we can hold each other accountable and also take our bitchy moods out on each other.

I'm telling you this for a couple of reasons:
I would appreciate support and prayers.
It's highly likely the mood of the blog may turn a little cranky for a bit.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!

    When you feel like being bitchy start a political or religious fight with me I have thick skin.

    Addictions are tough I have fought a few of my own you have friends and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!!! Just don't let your mom make her brownies or chocolate chip cookies to compensate. . . you'll be as big as a house in no time. If you really want to quit you'll do it. I believe that half the battle is wanting to. I'll say some extra prayers for you, it'll be ok. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what Makes that little ole Ant...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete