Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Lion Sleeps Tonight


After writing about Eunice Kennedy Shriver's death and how much I admired her, I also want to acknowledge the death of her brother, Senator Edward Kennedy.

The news broke this morning and the reporter said, "The nation is mourning the loss of Ted Kennedy."

Ok, wait a minute. How do they know the whole nation is "mourning?"

Ted was not my favorite Kennedy. Maybe it has to do with Chappaquiddick. I'm big on forgiveness; I'm equally fond of accountability.

I've always found him a little slimy. The whole rape trial, Uncle Teddy helping out his nephew, William Kennedy Smith, didn't help.

But, I must certainly admire his passion in the senate and his endless works in the areas of health care, the poor, the disabled and more.

And let's not forget he left a wife, an ex-wife, children, step-children, nieces and nephews. By tragic default, he was the family patriarch. He rose to the occasion and they were some pretty steep shoes to fill.

I guess I am mourning. I'm in awe of of this family that I do not know. I'm astounded that he is the last of the nine siblings and now the torch of this family -- America's royal family -- has been passed to the next generation.

My generation.


(Correction: Jean Kennedy Smith, Ted's sister and mother of the accused rapist, is the last living Kennedy of that generation.)

7 comments:

  1. Well, you know I am saddened.
    I love all the Kennedy's.
    Perfect? nah... But show me a politican that is. They all have dirty little secrets. It just depends on what gets exposed as to what we know.
    Politically... I LOVE the Kennedy's.
    My Prayers are with their families.

    ps.. There is an award waiting for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God help the next generation, they'll never live up to the Kennedy name. The only reason old Teddy was so revered is because his brothers died so early. I think the women are the strength in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, one of the biggest arguments me and my wife have had was the passing of Michael Jackson I was being insensitive and a butt. I do forgive people because they passed or because they have talents no argument about MJ's talent or Ted's . But they were both slime balls and I do not approve. Nancy is a very forgiving person my thought is I would not let one of my kids spend the night at their home so your talent or death does not earn you a pass.

    Eunice was a nice person and deserves our respect. I have nothing nice to say about the rest of the Kennedy's.

    At best Bobby and John cheated and shared Marilyn at worst they had her killed. Grandpa was a criminal, Ted has his list and nephew has his case and so on and so on.

    So if I cant say something nice I wont say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He lived his entire adult life fighting for the little guy.

    I'd love to have that kind of legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a lot of people that fight for the little guy, I have spent my life donating time and large amounts of money to causes and not being paid for it all the while lets not over look that was his job. My legacy will not include adultery or homicide. If we are going to remember these people then lets not omit facts when doing it. I just wish that every time the press slobbers all over their selfs this week just one of them would tell the whole story. This is not a political statement I felt the same way after Michaels death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you 110% Mark. I'm not a big political person but come one. . . We all know about the Kennedy's. People forget how their father came into his moeny. . . scandal!! I think Eunice was probably the finest of the Kennedy's, hell, she save the family name. I know where you came from Mark and I know who you married. I also know how you have NOT lived off the family name and have gone on to do your own thing, however "rough work" it might have been. I commend you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the kind words, I have built a nice life for my family and from time to time people assume it is because who I married they would be largely wrong. Although I will give credit where it is due while others were getting a formal education my father in law took in a street kid and gave me a bussiness education. It has been one of the greatest starts some one could ask for, and last every sucsessfull man has a good woman behind them Nancy is as savy as they come.

    Who am I speaking with? Thank you again! I will write about my up bringing one day it is a fun story.

    ReplyDelete