Thursday, August 20, 2009

Self Defense


Do you own a gun? I know lots of people who do. Some responsibly; some not. I'm very mixed on this issue.

I'm tired of watching the news and hearing of drive-by shootings or drug deals gone awry. On the other hand, I'm tired of learning of innocent people harmed. Would they have been better off armed?

This is on my mind because I am being cautioned a lot lately. At some point, I will be a single woman, living alone. I'm armed. I have pepper spray that I will eventually blind myself with. Or, confuse it with Binaca and have zero taste buds. I have a dog who will warn me of a disturbance and then in real trouble, lick the intruder to death. If he's smart enough to carry treats, (isn't everone?) she will just go move in with him.
What's our next job? Do I get more treats?

Truthfully, you'll never know what I decide about the gun thing. And, I'm making jokes about my dog because she will always follow me. You may or may not have treats in your pocket. But I am a sure thing.

2 comments:

  1. I have a 3" bruise from my last visit with Gabby. It is from her "embracing" me, telling me, "Hi Jan! Where ya been, Jan! It that Riley, Bandit, or no, is that Dakota, I smell? HI Jan!". Her strength never amazes me and I am very glad that I am a liter mate and not a threat as I am quite sure given the opportunity she will be quite protective.
    I don't personnally own a gun, although Sergio has 3 in the house that "he" owns". Today, I had my real "Tear Gas" from my Uncle the retired cop, in my hand as a co-worker and I worked late and walked to the parking lot together. I have no fear in using it and thankful I never have.
    I do feel that my three dogs and even the cats are the best weapon I have. They certainly will alarm me and give me time to be prepared if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a license to carry, I go to the range and practice, I have taken two gun classes, and I work with people that are solid with weapons. But I do not carry them. I am just a supporter of gun rights It scares me every time our government try’s to legislate new laws. A well armed country is a safe nation I do not count on my government to protect me and my family.

    Martial Arts give me a more since of safety mentally and physically not to mention a great work out.

    As for my two dogs their combined biggest achievement in life is to know the food schedule around the house and a solid friend when I need one. Security work is not in their job description.

    ReplyDelete