Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thrilling


Anyone with half a brain is now supposed to be completely appalled and sick of the overwhelming attention to the sudden death of Michael Jackson, aka Wacko Jacko. If you're a baby boomer or older, you've lost a few music icons ... Elvis, John Lennon, and more.

Yes, we (as a society, as a star-obsessed culture) have forgotten that the Supreme Court has a full docket ahead of them in October. The transformation of health care is going to kill us or make us stronger. Our new president has a task more overwhelming than most people care to calculate. We're still at war. The planet is possibly freezing or boiling at any given point and 99.9 percent of us who would really like to find a reasonably good fit for a reasonably good job still have not found it.

Is the untimely death of Michael Jackson worth the diversion?

Oh, probably not.

If you had asked me two weeks ago if I was a fan of his, I probably would've shrugged and said, "He's ok. I like some of his music." I would've probably added that his fascination with remaking his face gives me the creeps and the endless accusations and out-of-court settlements give me pause.

But a funny thing happened while I watched glimpses of the endless coverage of the past couple of weeks -- I was shocked at how much his music has been a part of my life. From buying a 45 record of "ABC" by The Jackson Five to associating certain songs with high school and college. The first music video I was ever interested in watching was "Thriller." I watched it again (the long version) the other day.

Of course I watched the funeral. I was touched once again by his music and by his legacy. Turns out, I'm a much bigger fan than I thought.

5 comments:

  1. As much as I hate to admit it, ditto...deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. He certainly was a talent that is unforgetable. You can not deny that. I too have childhood memories that thrill me with memory of him.
    Then, with my first "rooomate" following college, I got sick of her obsession and could take or leave him. (Thanks Deb, for not having that same passion, although you did love Steve Martin!)
    Loved much of his work, and amazed by his talent. Saddened by the whole Whacko Jacko part. Who can blame him? Stardom does some sad things to people, and parents that push it don't help. (Thanks Mom for not pushing me into a "talent").
    Bottom line, how tragic to lose such a legend at the age of 50. that doesn't seem so old anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post-- I never owned any of his records myself but have also kept thinking about how much of his soundtrack has been part of my life. I cannot remember ever going to a party in late high school or college without his music being on the forefront of any dancing we did. We all were in college when his Thriller albumn launched and who ever went to a party without this being played. Too bad and so sorry he ended up so strange. We are of the age that whether it was little Michael in the Jackson 5 or big Michael on his own-- his music was always there in the background of our lives. Strange he wrote "Gone to Soon" about the death of fellow Hoosier Ryan White. Little did we know 19 years later it would be played for him.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a note-- I now own the Thriller albumn. Believe it or not I bought this at a truck stop in Illinois in early June for $6.00 on my way for a long driving vacation. It brought back lots of good memories but little did I know he would be gone three weeks later. I played this at our rained out Lake Lemon gathering last Saturday and everyone was up and dancing.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is no longer thrilling-UPDATE

    ReplyDelete