Friday, July 31, 2009

Gone with the Wind


Gone with The Wind was on last night. I love it. Not only do I own it but I watch it every single opportunity I have to see it on tv. (TCM runs it without commercials.) I also read the book once a year or so.

Every viewing or reading brings something different. For the most part, I fall in love with Rhett again (he reminds me so much of my soon-to-be ex-husband) and I relish the stories of family, the South, Scarlett, and of course, the pageantry of the whole thing.

Last night I was bizarrely frustrated with mealy-mouth Melanie. Would she please just take her drab self and go away? Not that I wanted Scarlett to end up with Ashley. Would he please just figure out that he's gay?

The most quoted line from the movie is:
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

But one of my favorites is the exchange between Rhett and Scarlett:
""You sir are no gentleman."
"And you miss are no lady."

1 comment:

  1. All of the women get on my nerves. In the book, my favorite parts are the food descriptions. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete