Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tainted Dolls

I played with dolls and especially Barbie dolls way too long. Loved the hair, the outfits, the playhouse and all the accessories. Another memory tainted! Mattel is introducing "Tattoo Barbie."

Tattoos are not my thing. But, in all fairness, I know some people who have some cool ones. My goddaughter comes to mind.

Dolls and playthings are supposed to give you something to aspire to. Ok, maybe that's absurd when we look at Barbie -- 6' legs, 16" waist and breasts that Dolly Parton might aspire to have -- but she was reasonably wholesome and her only fault was her relentless play time with dorky Ken. (In my childhood, we threw Ken away and paired her with GI Joe -- way cooler!)

So now Barbie has to conform with the times. She's free to maim her body with tattoos. I'm sure "Pierce me Barbie" is right around the corner, complete with needles and fun jewelry for all body parts.

Little girls will have enough time to experiment with tattoos, piercings and other things in Pandora's Box.

3 comments:

  1. I had a GI Joe and he always went over to Babies for a booty call when he wasn’t saving the world from the Commies. She did not need a tramp stamp then or now. I think Ken was taking in the Judy Garland festivals at these particular times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Marks comments!
    I think all that playing with Barbie made us want all her accessories!
    ps.. You are still prettier than Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to buy a birthday gift Barbie. Thanks for the tip about the tattoos. I'll be careful.

    ReplyDelete