Monday, July 20, 2009

Stuff You Should Love But Don't

Many years ago, my mother made the mistake of admitting to a certain affection for some particular trinket or doodad. Don't ever do it -- especially if it has a theme. You will be inundated with them for every Christmas and birthday forever more. You are stuck.

I've also decided you should never tell people your hobbies or interests. "What? You like the Beatles? I will never again struggle for a gift! I will buy you every dorky gift produced by The Franklin Mint" -- (only 9 million produced -- you, my friend, have a collector's item!)

I am in a unique position of figuring out what is important to me from the home I used to share with my husband. I am running out of time to gather and sort many items. I'm also lucky because eventually I will start anew in a place I will call home. I already know that I have some general guidelines:

Things with huge sentimental value will make the cut.

Practical things with sentimental value get top billing. Most of my grandmother's dishes that she gave to me came from garage sales. They're in.

I will be ruthless with things I don't like or have no use for.


I must admit. This is the fun part of starting over.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you're getting half the furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What will you do with ALL your books? I know you love your books. Thanks for checking on Kelly. Love you

    ReplyDelete