Friday, June 5, 2009

The Marrying Kind

I still refer to my husband by the title "my husband" for two reasons. First of all, we are still legally married and secondly, I probably won't ever refer to anyone else by that title again. Well, unless it has "ex" in front of it.

Although you might think that's silly coming from someone like me. This is not my first marriage or my first divorce. But, I do believe it is probably my last one. It's sad because I really like so much about being married. I never intended to be anything but married, especially this last time. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned.

I am a great studier of other people's relationships. And I know a lot of people that probably should not be married but somehow they've made it work and I haven't.

Someone very near and dear to my heart is also my idol. She was a wonderful wife and mother while still maintaining her own identity and sense of self in a role that sometimes chews up other women. Once her husband passed away, she was content to view her role as someone's wife as completed. She even said to me, "I enjoyed our many years together but I will not be anyone else's wife."

When she recently announced that she is marrying her boyfriend of several years, it made me rethink a few things. Like, I probably shouldn't make grand pronouncements of never marrying again.

2 comments:

  1. Don't ever pronounce that you're never marrying again.... you never know what might happen. NEVER SAY NEVER. You're too young and beautiful to think you'll never marry again. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not about the legal decree. I don't doubt you will have other wonderful relationships. We in the Western World really are a minority in our idealistic views of one man and woman, married till death do us part or until we're really not into each other anymore. Besides, aren't there more important things to worry about? You have so much to give to the world and people around you with your many talents, humor and kind heart. Life is so much more than married or not...deb

    ReplyDelete