Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Love You Philip Gulley


Did I ever mention my obsession with Philip Gulley? I admire him. I read his books -- even the ones he receives death threats about. I identify with him. His Indiana childhood seems to be my Indiana childhood although in moments of clarity I realize both of us are doing a lot of editing. If he is speaking nearby, I go. I once introduced myself to him as, "Hello, I don't mean to keep stalking you."

That's his latest book in the photo above. Please read it, although he does not need my endorsement. It will be a best seller along with the others.

The other day a car pulled into the driveway. My father-in-law stepped out with arms stretched -- reaching for a hug at the sight of me.

(Ok, technically he has not been my father-in-law for 23 years since I was stupid enough to divorce his son and cause great pain all around. Whatever. I still think of him as Dad.)

In the midst of the bear hug and wonderful feelings and the tugging of tears, he handed me this book. Not only does he know how much I love Phillip Gulley -- he is friends with him. Not only does he forgive me for being an impetuous, self-centered human being -- he still bothers to love the woman I want to be and try to be.

So, he handed me this book and said, "Happy Birthday."

I try not to use names on this blog. I figure if you out yourself in a comment or by sending me an email, I have still kept some weirdo blogger-journalist code of ethics. But I am making an exception.

I love Philip Gulley. I also am truly blessed because I love Bob Friedly.

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of Philip Gulley. I'll look for is books. I have, of course, heard of Bob Friedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone that you touch will love you! You are magical & can not be removed from anyones heart, no matter what. I can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete