Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Sort of'' Christians

Today is Easter Sunday and my little church was filled. It was a beautiful service, abundant with a baptism, children in their Easter finery, welcoming new members and communion. Our minister delivered a great sermon -- touching, funny and heartfelt. For a small church, we had lots of activities to recognize this magnificent day.

During Sunday school, we got into a discussion about the people who only show up twice a year. Ooops! It's Christmas Eve. Ooops! It's Easter. Better suck it up and go to church! As it happens, we are studying Romans and the whole not passing judgement thing.

I pass judgement all the time. Bad hair, bad outfit, I can't believe your kid did that -- you name it. Even if I don't say it out loud, it is screaming in my head.

There are people who say us church goers are a bunch of hypocrites. Yes, we probably are. And I do love the sentiment that church is not a temple for saints but a hospital for sinners.

Lots of people love to tell you that they can worship anywhere -- the fishing hole, the golf course, wherever. Of course they can. But, do they?

I don't go to church because it's the only place I can worship. I go to church to be with my fellow worshippers and take the time to reflect on this magical/sometimes horrible/astonishing life. I go to church because I have learned at this age, I need it. And someone misses me when I am not there.

I have no judgement about the Christmas Eve and Easter Christians. I just hope the seed is planted that makes them want to come back more often.

1 comment:

  1. Good Post! I have to give my two cents, you know how I am.
    I go on spurts. I was very regular for many years, especially while the girls were developing spiritually. I currently don't go. I have no excuse, well I have several but it does not matter.
    Maybe it is time for me to pick up and move on to another church. Many things have changed and rather than feeling spiritually charged I get an anxiety attack and can't breathe. I feel judged, I feel unconnected.
    I am trying to work it out with God. We have been discussing it. He still loves me and we still have a close relationship. I am one of those Christians that rather go every day but the biggies. My relationship with God is personal although I believe I am a good example of who a Christian is. I know that I am not a "Sort of Christian", but rather a strong whole hearted ~I love Jesus~ shout from the mountaintops type.
    I try not to pass judgements although I am human and know I do... Okay, you know me well, so yes, I am very opinionated. But, I still try hard to be the best Chrsitian possible.

    ReplyDelete