Monday, April 19, 2010

Social Networking

A couple of years ago, I wrote this thing that appeared in our local paper, The Indianapolis Star and it was all about how people (especially politicians) throw around the greeting, "Hello Friends."

I don't remember exactly what I wrote but I remember it had to do with the definition of friendship.

Enter social networking. I was a hold out to Facebook. I am still a hold out on Twitter. (Really, my day is not that interesting.) But, I am a marketing person and I am supposed to reasonably keep up with the times. So, I joined. And now I am addicted a little bit.

At first, I thought it was amazing that someone, anyone!, would want to friend me. Then I would catch myself in a lazy evening or at couple of stop lights, I checked Facebook. Now I have something like 200 friends and I promise you, I do not have 200 friends in real life. It's fun to see what's going on with high school & college friends, old business associates and cousins I don't see very often.

But sometimes I need to remind myself that this is not reality. Running over to a girlfriend's house is friendship. Planning a trip to the girlfriend who has been there since I was 5-years old is reality. Worrying about medical tests for a person I love is friendship.

Sometimes you get one of those prodding things: "You should be friends with XXX -- you have 18 friends in common." I clicked "Yes" a couple of times. Never heard back and you know what that means ... Ignore! Guess he forgot we were married for a couple of years.

Social networking is fun but I still know who my friends are.

2 comments:

  1. How about getting a notice from someone who wants to be "a friend" and you don't have a clue who it is? The girls I can understand but the boys I don't. You're right. . you're true, dear, old friends will always be there. Count me in! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think FB has been alot of fun as well as annoying. I try to only friend those I truly find as a friend, although there have been a couple of times, I friend someone because they friended me and I dont want to hurt their feelings. I can always hide them if I don't want to here their every detail (which I find strange that so many will give updates throughout the day).
    Anyway, what bugs me is when someone I thought was a friend, that "ignores" me. Especially when you try twice thinking it must have been an error. I don't know why it upsets me. Why would I want to be friends w/ someone that doesn't want to be? But, it still hurts. I guess it's a good lesson as to who are the true blues.

    ReplyDelete