Friday, April 9, 2010

Car Memories

Lately, I've been thinking about cars. We're no Michigan, but a lot of our industry in this state started with cars and spun off into various manufacturing. Now we're courting advanced manufacturing -- lots of definitions for that. My last few cars have all been run by a computer in its belly so if that's not advanced, I don't know what is.

Currently I drive a Toyota. Not one that's been recalled but I'll check again tomorrow. I've owned more than my fair share of cars. Sorry to all my union friends but my best cars have been Japan or German models. Change the oil regularly and they run forever.

My first one was second-hand (third? fourth maybe?) and it was a stick shift and great fun. Girlfriends and I used to tool around, listening to the 8-track and singing our lungs out. During which, I was also rolling backwards and restarting the engine because it's hard to carry on a conversation, sing, work all the pedals and primp at the same time. My dad taught me to drive it because the first and only time my mom tried she got a massive headache from screaming "Look Out!" We were in a parking lot.

Before passing driver's ed, which I took in high school, Gary MacPherson used to let me drive his Chevy Nova around the parking lot. I later learned that he did that with lots of girls.

My dad used to have this GTO that all my friends thought was very cool. He thought it was cool too and so the story goes, he got so many tickets that it had to go. That's my memory and I'm sticking to it.

I've never understood people who don't have memories of making out in a car. Were you all born with your own apartment? One of my first memorable kisses was in the back of my dad's truck. Greg Davis planted one on me while his sister (Angel) looked on. We were stuck back there like cattle and she retreated to her own corner.

Keith Taylor had a cool car. Even though I knew my bff had a crush on him, I said yes when he asked me out. (She forgave me.) His brother had a better car -- a Mustang Fastback and we made out in that too. Later my grandfather had a few belts, took a neighborhood kid's bicycle and rammed it into the car. Lesson: God is always watching.

In my memory, Jan always had a different car/truck every six months. They broke down and we didn't care. We didn't have cell phones. It was a friggin' adventure. We also had a few car episodes (oops, didn't see that garage door!)

My most-of-the-time boyfriend in high school (and all-through-college guy) used to take me out in his parent's Honda. Hmmm. Maybe that's why I still lean toward Japanese cars.

Yes, thanks to Facebook, I'm using names now.

3 comments:

  1. tsk tsk!
    Need I remind you that those memories from the first car, which I believe was a CAMARO, all the way through ALL those memory automobiles~Chevy Nova, GTO, DAD's Truck, Mustang, my cars (which BTW~ not every 6 months although Bubbles smashed into my first car after I had only had it a couple months)The Ford Fairlane & the Groovy Chevy Biscayne, My Mom's Pontiac, & Dad's Chevy S10...All of them with the exception of Kirk's (or shall we say Kurt) Honda WERE AMERICAN MADE BABY!!! The best memories from the BEST VEHICLES!!! LOL... :)
    ps.. I still swear I didnt see the garage door! Neither did you...it wasnt until the morning after explaining we had to give that we discovered it! Keith's brother was actually his sister Sandy's Mustang! Driving that Toyota is giving you Alzhimer's. Ha Ha Ha!!!
    F*ck the Jap Crap! I'll hurt you if you ever buy another!
    ps I will always love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remeber when we got off work from Osco that you'd drive by way of Arlington so you didn't have to worry about the hill at 16th and Ridgeview. Wow! What fun days those were! Remember Rich' Corvair? We called it "Souped Up Minute Rice" Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great topic so many memories new and old!

    On my second or third date with my wife and way too many party favors in to the evening she found out while sitting in the seat of a Honda that I will not back down from a challenge. We were parked in front of a community pond and I mouthed off I would drive straight into it. She said no you wont; I said yes I will, she said you’re scared; I made it to about two feet in!

    Japanese cars are great, I like American Cars also but Japanese cars are a great investment. Sheri when you are ready I know a car dealer that handles almost every brand American and Japanese just say the word and we will get you taken care of.

    Love this post every car has memories and usually great ones thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete