Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Miss, Ms., Mrs. & Ma'am

I'm big on titles; I truly believe they are a sign of respect for lots of things. You don't have to respect the person -- sometimes you're respecting their age, their position, etc. Regardless of your politics, I think the president of our country should be referred to as President Obama, not Mr. Obama. And let's face it, "Yes sir, Officer, should be in every teenage vocabulary lesson.

When I hear women say, "Don't call me Mrs. Smith; it makes me look around for my mother-in-law," I cringe. It doesn't make you old to be addressed properly. It is some well-bred person being respectful. I have been a Mrs. more than once and I liked it. Say what you want about country clubs but they do cling to the respectful titles. I've seen more than one child hauled to the side of the dining room to have a quick lecture about proper name etiquette. My stepson was so ingrained in this that when one of our best friends encouraged him to call her by her first name, he stumbled, tried again and finally gave up.

I like being called ma'am. In addition to a title of respect, it keeps me in touch with some of my southern roots. "Yes ma'am and no sir" are the norm in the south and God, I wish that tradition would fly north.

I'm old enough now that almost everyone expects me to call them by their first name. And I do. But sometimes I catch myself going back to the title -- like with the lady who lives across the street. I see her in church. She's watched me grow up. I'm in my 40s, she's in her 80s and I enjoy addressing her with the respect she's earned.

1 comment: