Thursday, April 22, 2010

Doggie Guilt


I don't believe in reincarnation but I've had more than a couple of people tell me that they'd like to come back to earth as my dog.

Since I've invaded my parents' home, I have become incredibly attached to their dog, Harriett. And I suspect they are crazy about mine. Their dog is a fluffy, needy-but-charming little thing. She looks like the dogs you see all the stars carrying through airports.

My dog is a workhorse. She has known from day one that I will take her everywhere she is allowed to go and some places I will just fake my way through it. My friends are either frustrated or kind or both but most say, "Bring Gabby!"

Neither dog is confused about ownership. But Harriett stalks me. She knows who feeds her, grooms her, etc. and it is not me. But she follows me and she paws at me. Then she looks at my parents as if to say, "Would you make that lady that walks a lot take me to the park?" And I do.

This weekend is the Mutt Strut and I really considered taking both of them. But Harriett's legs can only go a mile and I can't fathom maneuvering Gabby and carrying Harriett for the extra 1 1/2 mile. Plus, we might go out for drinks afterwards and I don't think my parents want Harriett in a bar.

I'm super careful with my money these days and the Mutt Strut is an event I totally support. Some women of my age and marital status might seek events with lots of men. That is kind of a nightmare concept for me.

But an event that supports a cause I believe in, plus I can walk my dog & meet up with girlfriends and their dogs ... sign me up!

I'll make it up to Harriett another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment