Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sisterhood

In the media blitz and subsequent judgement of Elizabeth Edwards' choice to write and speak of her husband's betrayal, an important point was lost in the criticism: women should not do that to other women.I've watched a couple of interviews and I've read an excerpt of the book, Resilience. We can all debate whether she should have left him -- probably not considering her health situation and their young children. We can argue about this possibly being a public flogging of him -- probably so; it is her story to tell.The puzzler (among many) is why would a woman intentionally do this to another woman? If she wanted a meaningless sexual encounter with a public figure, she could've targeted a single man. If she was longing for a husband, hearth and children, why seek that by destroying what another woman has spent decades building and nurturing?
A lot of the content is too sappy for me. The affair part is a stabbing reminder that a man she thought she knew took his clothes off for a woman with no respect for herself or the sisterhood of women.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post.
    I haven't read anything about Elizabeth Edwards book (I live under a rock). I usually stay away from these types of tell-all books.
    I feel for her. I feel for him.
    I can't imagine ever cheating or being cheated on. I pray that I never have to experience that kind of pain. I had always stayed away from men that were unfaithful to past relationships. I don't think I could have trust in someone that had a wandering eye. I often wonder what I would do, how I would react. I know things happen and often it happends to people that never saw it coming.
    Anyway, back to your point:
    No, women should not do that to their "sisters" or even enemies for that matter. Nor should men. Lest we forget that they are just as responsible.

    ReplyDelete