Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Right To Bare Arms

This little twist of phrase was used recently by President Obama in reference to the over-the-top attention to his wife’s frequent preference for going sleeveless. She’s done it for magazine photo shoots, state dinners – even in her official White House portrait.

I say, “Hooray Michelle!”

Many of us grew up hearing things like, “Women over 30 shouldn’t have long hair.” Or, “Bare arms are inappropriate for women of a certain age.”

I respectfully disagree. I still have long hair and I often have bare arms. I think the reason for the bare arm rule was none of those people worked out. Women whose arms resemble Dumbo’s ears should not go sleeveless.

Some women have arms I covet. Kelly Ripa comes to mind. So does Samantha Harris.


I’ll probably spend the rest of my life trying to camouflage my thighs and suck in my stomach. But as long as I keep a standing date with my free weights, I will bare arms.

2 comments:

  1. I think we should all have the right to bare arms. But Michelle does it best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The First Lady does it well, BUT SHERI does it best! She has always had beautiful arms & hair (so don't go short again!). My arms are resembling Dumbo so I guess I will be hiding them this summer. Where are those free weights I bought?

    ReplyDelete