Saturday, October 13, 2012

Honey, Baby, Sweetie, Darling

I found this in my archives of posts I'd written but never posted. I find endearments ... well, endearing. I used to love it when my parents or other loved ones use them. There's a country song I love, I think it's called "Love like Crazy," and one of the best lines is "Never get too old to call her 'Baby'"

I'm not crazy about total strangers using these titles. The waitress at Bob Evans shouldn't call me "Hon'" but I recognize she is trying her best so I let it go. If a false sense of friendship or intimacy helps her tips/bottom line, so be it.

It is completely inappropriate in a business situation but every woman you know will tell you that it happens every day. I have been called, "Honey" and (my personal favorite) "Kiddo" by men way younger than me.

Here's a confession. I've found myself doing it, although NEVER in a professional situation. But as you refill my coffee, I might say "Thanks, Hon." Then I will kick myself. Is this a middle age or older thing?

Darling, or as it is supposed to be pronounced, "Darlin'" is my favorite. I save it for those I hold dear. It's my southern roots and the Ellis/Ridenour & Roman/Easterling southern roots.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, baby. And I can call you this because I think of you as one of my babies who grew up and did amazing things. Much more to come I'm sure. Cess

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://apirateturns50.blogspot.com/2010/05/pirate-looks-at-50.htmlOctober 18, 2012 at 6:56 AM

    I have never used Kiddo but almost always refer to a female as "kid" only to complement her age as still being young I never thought of it as possibly any way of disrespect. I don't use honey ever.

    For a male I always use "Boss" as to show he can be in charge if only in his mind honestly I use it to stay under his radar if I need to strike back.

    Nice post I know I use them but never gave them any thought.

    ReplyDelete