Thursday, October 18, 2012

Boys to Men to Good Friends

I've been blessed with a life of incredible men. In case you ever question that in your life, take an afternoon off work, watch bad tv and be grateful that you've never gone on national tv to watch a man you've had sex with, possibly had a baby with, dance with glee because "he is not the father!" I have the best father ever. That's my opinion and I'm eternally grateful. But, this post is about the rest of you. In kindergarten, Chris Fulton snuck a kiss in the cubby holes. I do believe that was my first kiss. Greg Davis, my childhood crush forever, put up with whatever my parents asked. He cut our lawn, he and Angel did the square dancing thing, and we all rode around in the back of a pick up truck. Angel looked the other way when Greg kissed me. Ron Seats and Rich Seats were like brothers. We had those babysitting memories with Kim, phantom babysitters and heaven knows what we did to Grandma Love. I miss Ronnie and am eternally grateful for my neighborhood siblings - Rich and Kim. Happily-married men are often retrospective. I had a converstation with someone I have known my whole life and he asked, "Why didn't we date in high school?" I know why. He does too. We tried to expand our horizons. We actually played spin the bottle and I was thrilled when my spin landed on David Hinesley. I was goofy, grossed out and simultaneously honored that he stuck his tongue in my mouth. I told my mother and she told me to never let it happen again. Sadly, it didn't. I didn't date a lot of men in high school. I will say that the first man I dated seriously, Jeff Glass, was (and is) a really good man. He is the first man I thought I was in love with. His wife is a very lucky woman. My first true love was, and is, also a great man and his wife is blessed as well. I've not even mentioned all the male friends who seem to stay in my corner, no matter what. You know who you are and I love you. I've known some yucky men too. But, that is another post. Someday. Thank you boyfriends, boys who remain friends and hats off to the women who realize what a treasure you are.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting words written by someone who is smart & pretty.

    ReplyDelete