Saturday, October 22, 2011

Stupid in an Educated Brain


I went to college. Had a great time & learned some stuff. Mostly, I was exposed to cultures, ideas and beliefs I had never been exposed to earlier. I think that is what college is supposed to be.

I made some incredible friends who I hope will be my friends for the rest of my life. We played quarters, got tossed around at football games, broke some laws and many rules and survived.

At one point, I put on a cap and gown and received a degree. (Two, actually.) I am an educated person.

But, today I feel really stupid.

I do not understand why we have such division in this country. I do not know why I am supposed to side with Democrats or Republicans when I don't understand any of them. I do not understand why Congress (mostly made up of millionaires) is claiming to represent me -- a lowly worker. I don't understand why the only people who can run for office have to be wealthy or prostitute for lobbyist funds.

I do not understand why our country has sunk so low. Low standards for education, low standards for health care. I do not understand our current health care system, nor do I understand the changes proposed by either party.

I do not understand how our country has now tied its financial system to every other financial system in the world and we're failing. How do we owe this much to China? How do we have a banking system that we bail out (probably by borrowing more from China) yet it controls the world markets?

How do we have sports stars and entertainment stars bargaining for more b'jillions yet we have nations with starving and dying people trying to live on $2 a week for a family?

Outside my office, there is a large tv in the lobby. It stays on CNN. Occasionally, I look up and catch a story. For the last two weeks, we spent an absurd amount of time on the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, aka Michael Jackson's killer.

I'm an educated person who feels really, really stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment