Sunday, October 23, 2011

All Muddled Up


I hope you are having a good day. In fact, I hope everything in your life is aligned with God and there is not a worry in your head.

The reality is that you probably have something niggling at you. You are worried about a spouse who drinks, a kid who lies, a child in your life who might be bullied. Or worse, the bully.

You might be worried about superficial stuff like the lines on your face or the cellulite on your thighs.

I spent a lot of years thinking I could decide what to hide and what to share when the probems of my life made me a little crazy. My minister says that there is no shame in telling the truth; the shame is in secrets. I love him but he is living a dream.

There is no shame in telling people you love and trust about the issues and pain running through your brain. Yet, when you lose friends and lose jobs and lose hope because someone is now holding your decisions against you, there is shame.

We all say, "Love me, lean on me, I won't judge you." And yet, we do.

4 comments:

  1. While I accept your caveat, I stand by my answer. The real source of shame is keeping something secret, otherwise it is simply information. It is depressing to lose a job, however, there is no real shame in it, it happens to the best and worst and in between of us.
    your minister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lcm - you are wise, you are my friend and one of my most valued & trusted confidants. Is there a middle ground? Maybe it's not shame but I'm watching several people I know and love suffer the consequences of being open about something, then having it held against them by people they loved and/or trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty sure we don't disagree, simply different perspectives. Imagine how much worse it would be for folks if they had kept the secret and still been found out.

    ReplyDelete