Friday, October 2, 2009

Elvis in Common


Yesterday I had a job interview. I think it went well although I did not take the advice of the friend who told me to "ugly up" and tone my personality down. I figure Mother Nature is taking care of the "ugly up" part and people who apply for marketing jobs are not expected to have demure personalities. If they are, I will never work again.

The woman CEO that I interviewed with explained why she had a Thomas Kincade picture of Graceland on her office wall. It's a long story, and really not mine to tell, but the bottom line is her mother loves Elvis. Not misses him terribly and wishes she had met him -- no, this is the type of over-the-top adoration that makes this CEO daughter take her mother to Memphis every year for Elvis Week. I was happy to be able to say, "My mother was in love with Elvis too." (I did not point out that my mother is normal and does not feel the need to trek to Graceland once a year.)

If I get the job, I will have to thank Elvis.

1 comment:

  1. If dropping my last name in your second interview helps drop away.

    It is amazing this many years after Elvis’s death when introduced the first question is always the same. “Any relation?” my answer is always the same: no the fat guy spelled it wrong.

    When my son was about three he was introduced to someone and the infamous question followed and before he could answer them my daughter looked at Hank and said: “get used to it!”

    You just reminded me of a great story I believe I will write about next.

    ReplyDelete