Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Most Marketing People are Crazy

There's a common belief that marketing people -- and you can throw in sales people for good measure -- are slightly askew from the norm. We are.

We are the people who ask about the logo on your shirt and why you wear it. We want to understand your loyalties. We are the people who open EVERY SINGLE PIECE of our junk mail because we're interested in what other companies are doing.

We are the job that never stops and most of us who have chosen this type of career would have it no other way.

Let's get serious. My job is not world changing. It's not life changing. But something is always niggling in my brain ... Hmmm... wonder if I could convert that idea somehow? Is there a different way to sell that? Is there a new opportunity here?

I'm going to be out of the office for a few days and my company encourages "break away" time. My boss is the first to say, "You are covered. Enjoy!"

I love that attitude. But I also know that while I will kick back and enjoy myself for a few days, the iPad or the Blackberry is always near. No one will need me while I'm gone. My need is to keep up with what is going on.

You never know where the next idea will come from.

2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY agree. I read magazines to see the new ads, I constantly agree to design peoples wedding invitations, concert posters, small company brochures, anything that I come across because I want the challenge and think I can do it better...even if I really don't have the time for another project. I end up planning the baby showers, bachelorette parties, cookouts, etc because I think I should be in event planning and want to break into it so badly that I will plan anything for the experience. I too open the junk mail and watch trailors for movies to see how they designed the opening credits. I try to guess the fonts on company's logos every single time. Too funny- I think I too am a little different. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that case, Can you do the website audit while you are gone????????
    Tom

    ReplyDelete