Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom's Day

Mother's Day is bittersweet for me. I love my mother, my best friend, with all my heart. But I didn't get to birth children of my own and that is one of my true regrets in life.

Yet, God opens doors. He gave me Jennifer and Tyler -- two of my greatest blessings. He gave me their mothers, two of my best friends. He gave me goddaughters (thank you Jan!) and a bounty of children to love. My "sister" has three children and thankfully, she has commanded that they love me.

You never stop being a mother. Today I was liturgist in my church and I flubbed a portion of the responsive reading. There's nothing like looking into the congregation and seeing your mother say, "You messed it up."

Yes, I did. And thanks Mom. One of your most amazing gifts is to let me know that I mess up and you love me anyway.

I truly believe it takes a village to raise a child. This child is looking at 50, a scant few years away, and realizing the women who shaped me, scolded me, loved me and soothed me.

Here's the prayer I shared with the congregation this morning:

Gracious God,

Today we honor mothers. We thank you for the mothers who gave birth to us and step mothers who stepped up. Thank you for adoptive mothers who grew children in their hears. Thank you for foster mothers who deal with situations most of us couldn't imagine. We thank you for grandmothers who get to love and laugh and send the children home.

Lord, let us also honor aunts and godmothers and all who touch our children. Thank you for neighborhood mothers who instinctively know it takes a village.

Let us also be grateful for Mary, a young mother in a challenging situation, who gave birth to our Lord.
,
May your loving hand touch all mothers everywhere.


So, I hope you honor yourself today. If you birthed a child, participated in raising a child, smacked a child upside the head for doing something dangerous or stupid... you have added to the community of humanity for all the greater good.

And may you all have someone who can look at you with a wink and a smile and say, "You messed up." Yes Mom, we all do it once in a while.

4 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful, Sheri. I can always count on my mother to say, "You know, your new hair color? Not so much," but at the same time she is the first person I call when I just want someone to be on my side. I have no doubt that you have touched the lives of more children than you even know of, and they are grateful. I'm glad you're part of my life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanaks you Sheri, this is so beautiful. Every woman needs to read this. Love you. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri...loved your reading! You are a sweet, special person, that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes even a mother smacks other peoples children she has never met while in a movie theatre watching the Sound of Music. This blog just brought back that memory big time. Laughing Out Loud!!!

    ReplyDelete