Saturday, May 14, 2011

Alone Time

I crave alone time. And God's joke on me is that I live with the most social man ever put on the planet.

Alone time allows me to breathe, to pray, to make lists and to listen to my soul. Alone time heals me.

Yesterday I took a couple of hours off work to do personal stuff. Catch up. Walk the dog, send some cards. Dan came home to pick up some stuff he had forgotten. Alone bubble busted.

There's a balance we all strive to find. Socially engaging/work engaging/private time. I spend a big chunk of my week with a smile on my face and a story to tell. It's rude, but I often come home with the silent message of, "I'm tired and I don't want to talk." How awful is that?

Doing the voyeur thing, I often wonder about retired people. How do they do it? Do they enjoy spending 24/7 with each other? In my voyeur experience, I can tell you the answer is no. One of them is always wishing the other would get out of their hair.

But, I'm on the young end of the Baby Boomer generation. One perk is I'll never know about retirement because we will be the ones who can't afford to retire. I will work until I can't work anymore. If I get really successful, I will have a room to myself and I will occasionally channel Greta Garbo,
"I want to be alone."

But just for a while ....

2 comments:

  1. Sheri! My husband and I both work from home and I can report that while he is always looking for opportunities to spend more time with me - he is a darling - I sometimes would like a bit of alone time. Is it a feminine thing? But I can't complain because 23 out of 24 of those hours I wouldn't want any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a very beautiful card, it brought tears to my eyes. Regarding alone time, Nick is outside and I am inside so that counts as alone time for us. I am slowly cutting back on volunteering and that might mean more time together which means I may have to find more volunteering duties. WQe do snarl at each other at times. Patsy

    ReplyDelete