Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Public Official vs. A Public Figure


Oh, I am so disappointed that Tiger is a Cheetah...

(I'm also really disappointed that I wasn't smart enough or creative enough to come up with that headline before someone else.)

I go back and forth on this one.

Before you think I might have lost my morals and my mind, let me be clear -- anyone who cheats is a dog. A double-devil, dirty dog. A slimy, scum-of-the-earth, not worthy-of-breadscraps dog.

Here's where I'm unclear: We didn't elect him to anything. If Nike wants to give him a b'jillion dollars to represent their company and he does something (anything!) to violate that contract, well ... that's between him and Nike. If people throw tons of money to attend golf tournaments where he will play or have his name attached, I'm pretty sure the contract is ironclad and there's no clause that regulates his sex life.

Tiger is not a public official. He does not solicit public funds and he does not receive millions of dollars to run for office. He receives millions of dollars for running an empire where he is expected to play golf in an exceptional manner. Sure, he's also expected to be a role model -- something I'm sure none of us would sign up to be.

The saddest part of the aftermath is money will change hands. Tiger and his wife may renegotiate their pre-nup, mid-nup, post-nup contract. Any sponsorship contract he signs in the future is likely to have a strong "character" clause. Everyone will cast a little shadow of doubt with possible dubious behavior.

You can throw all the money around that you want. There's nothing like a wife chasing your car down the street with a golf club in her hand, bashing in the windshield and wishing (for a second) it was your head.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. This is good, Sher. My head is thinking and I want to collect my thoughts before responding.
    I most certainly agree that a cheater is scum of the earth (dog's are beater than that).
    And I agree that breach of contract is between him & the endorser.
    BUT..
    The part about role model~ I do feel that anyone that is paid ridiculous amounts to play sports should be upheld to certain standards. Not necessarily the way things are but I think they should. Some people endorse and pay to see him or anyone in his position because they give a sense of Hope to the American Dream. They make us proud, and give us opportunity to show what American Made Athletics are capable of. With that, of course comes being a Role Model.
    I can't help but think that many DO want to be a Role Model. I think I would want to sign up for it. Maybe signing up for it would keep me more on my toes and behave better.
    Anyone in the public, particularly those that get paid outrageous amounts of money, should be held to certain standards. And leave their privacy rights at the door. Price of fame.
    ps..I wish Mrs Woods got more than hitting the windshield with that golf club! He deserves a whack between the legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been so sad about this. But the other day I went to a meeting with a bunch of old women, even older than me.

    The leader started by saying "How many of you have slept with Tiger?" Every one of them raised their hands.

    ReplyDelete