Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dating? Ugh.

I haven't been on a first date in about 18 years. My husband used to tell the story of our beginning as, "We went on a couple of dates and then she never left." There's a kernel of truth there.

The whole idea of dating fills me with dread and makes me want to crawl into bed with a book and a huge bowl of ice cream. It's too soon ... I'm too raw. But I know I will face it eventually.

One of the great safety nets of marriage is the ability to be with people of the opposite sex and no one thinks you're on the prowl. They know me. They know my husband. They know I'm going home to him. With strangers, a simple, "I'm married" clarifies the situation nicely. I'm used to going out alone or with girlfriends, running into people I know, etc. Now it feels odd.

I did have a date a couple of weekends ago. He wore a suit and tie and treated me like a Queen.

The next weekend I was tossed aside for a better woman; his wife returned home.

3 comments:

  1. When I look at this picture I have to wonder why he returned.But I am glad he did. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick looks great here. You too.
    Enjoy your male friendships and don't worry about the dating. After all, Sergio & I "found" each other when we were completely not looking for a date. I am sure, in due time, when you are ready, the "dates" will be knocking your door down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm a little late with the comment but . . . OMG! I know you two had a "DATE" but I didn't know he got all spiffied up. How sweet!!! Kim

    ReplyDelete