Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy Father's Day Dad

I'm closing in on turning 50. Just merely days away. I still rely on my Dad. Some might find that sweet, others may find it weird. To me, it is my life and my Dad is a huge part of it. Always has been. I have girlfriends who have lost their fathers - some shamefully young! Some still have their fathers but they live across the country, or their father is lost in the shell of Alzheimer's or another dreaded disease. Many of my friends are now caring for their fathers so they've taken on the parental role. I have two bookcases in my trunk that I will ask my Dad to put together. I will come home one day this week to find a note in my kitchen, (always beginning, Dear Sheri Baby,) and I will know he has trimmed bushes or planted something. I am a spoiled-rotten Daddy's girl. When I was little, he was this bronzed giant of a man. All tan and muscular from working outside. He would sweep me up in a giant bear hug and I knew in my heart that no man would ever love me as much. Sadly, I was right. To this day, he is my touchstone and my first love. He has loved me through bad choices, and far too often, been the knight when I needed rescued. He rights wrongs and has difficult conversations with a grace I will never master. Some people admire men who make a lot of money, create a new invention and/or inspire a social or political movement. That's all good. I admire some of them too. My hero, my Dad, walks the walk with integrity. He talks the talk with honesty. He loves with compassion and he cares with his heart and soul. As an added bonus, he has a freakin' funny sense of humor.

2 comments:

  1. Sheri, these are truly lovely words and I remember seeing this in him when I was a kid....he and your mother are special parents and they always showed how much they loved you. I totally understand having your dad as a hero, me being the youngest of four, I was my dad's baby and of course he was and still is always there when needed....he's getting slower and many times repeats himself over and over but I'm very happy he's still alive and in my life....same as you, many friends have lost their dads and that's very sad to me....you and I are very fortunate to still have both parents in our lives and I dread the day that changes....it's so important we make the best out of every day with them because as I'm learning every day seems to get shorter and shorter and life is running by very fast. Your father is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel, I appreciate your kind words and I remember your parents with equal loving thoughts. My parents are well - glad to hear yours are too. But we both know there are always issues looming. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete