Saturday, May 8, 2010

And Next ...

My father and I have a running debate about using the term, "Next." Imagine it's a Wednesday and you refer to plans on next Saturday. In my mind, this is not the Saturday that is three days away; it is the one that is 10 days away. I'm talking about this Saturday. He thinks I am crazy.

His analogy is standing in line at the bank. When the teller yells, "Next!" you don't turn around and look at the person behind you. I get the logic but he is still wrong.

I'm truly struggling with what is next for me. Is it right in front of me or is it the hypothetical ten days away? I had several job interviews last week and one of them is a job I really, really want. I've had five interviews for this job. Yep, five. Let me tell you again, FIVE!

I have friends going through awful things... cancer, childhood diseases, bankruptcy, estrangement from their families, etc. You name it, I can tell you about it.

My little simple life seems ... well, simple. And I'm tempted to call the prayer chain to put myself on the list. That seems lamer than lame.

But if I don't get this amazing good fit of a job, I might have to take a vacation and breathe differently for a while.

5 comments:

  1. Just breathe Baby! It will all come together. See you next {or is that this?}Monday night for DWTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say "next" it means the "next" one up! It's literal unless you redefine it. I hope your next meeting with the execs is to tell you you're hired!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in school we were taught, regarding this and next, that the day coming up is this and the one after that is next. So I agree with you but Paul has a point. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK I have a slightly different question: In the business world they say you will be paid Bi-weekly which means twice a month, but doesn’t Bi-weekly means twice a week?

    Good Luck I hope you get the job that works best for you.

    ReplyDelete