Thursday, February 11, 2010

I've Been Thinking About ...

While I've been immersed and stewing in my own juices, I've occasionally paid attention to some local, national and international stuff. In no particular order of importance:

Conan O'Brien got screwed in the NBC/Tonight Show/Late Night/Jay Leno fiasco. Conan signed a contract years ago that gave him a guaranteed hosting position on a certain date. He lived up to his deal. Jay's prime time show didn't work (not his fault) and suddenly all contracts are treated about as ironclad as professional sports contracts. Whatever happened to a deal is a deal?

Ellen DeGeneres is a great come-back story. I liked her as a stand-up comedienne and loved her sitcom, Ellen. Then she came out as a gay woman, her show was cancelled and her movies were not getting a lot of attention. Now she is happily married (regardless of how you feel about that) and hosting the top rated day time talk show and the newest judge on American Idol. I am not gay (she is) and I am not married (she is) and I am not employed (she is) and I am not funny (she is.) Some days, I want to be Ellen.

Our state is trying to legislate some new stuff on how the kids are tested. We're also constantly debating the length of the school year and when it ends and begins. You would think I don't care about any of this but I do. Beyond the obvious -- our tax dollars support the school systems, this is the future of our society. I read an editorial lately about teachers who spend their own money for basic necessities like notebooks and craft paper. I thought about our church and the things we are asked to provide to a few schools: uniforms, underpants, etc. To echo the editorial I read, when did supporting the next generation become the responsibility of volunteers?

I think John Edwards is skunk and a scumbag. I'm very glad he's been outed. I'm equally sure Elizabeth could be/might be a b*#+h and a control freak. Everyone involved in this sordid mess is slippery and opportunistic. All in all, there's a moral lesson in the wreckage of so many lives.

Gosh it's fun to look at some other lives ...

2 comments:

  1. See, it helps to get these things off your chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Yes, Go Ellen! I cannot wait to see her take on Simon.

    ReplyDelete